What about an article on transgenderism?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What about an article on transgenderism?

Post  Archive Guy on Wed 13 Apr 2011, 10:42

I think that might be a thing worth having, i.e. a short run-through of the basic concepts/terminology and how the process is supposed to go and how much it costs, as a reference to the wiki and ADF generally

I mean, we've got a couple people who're very well-informed in this regard, and a lot of people who aren't (myself included)

Archive Guy
Field Agent
Field Agent

Back to top Go down

Re: What about an article on transgenderism?

Post  Mute on Wed 13 Apr 2011, 11:45

Archive Guy wrote:
I mean, we've got a couple people who're very well-informed in this regard, and a lot of people who aren't (myself included)

That's a very good point and I find myself much in the same boat. Personally, I always feel a little uncomfortable discussing it as it relates to ADF because I don't want to appear insensitive to any of our people who might be trans, and I don't think the purpose of the wiki should be to make fun of him for being so (if he is). Having an article which disambiguates transgenderism from whatever it is ADF is doing (and maybe bringing up some legitimate points too) would probably only enrich our analysis of him.

Has anyone tried luring that trans anon from /L/ to the wiki or irc?

Mute
Open-minded Bisexual
Open-minded Bisexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Archive Guy on Wed 13 Apr 2011, 12:09

Mute wrote:I don't think the purpose of the wiki should be to make fun of him for being so

This is basically the thing here. There's a lot of shit he's doing with regards to his attempted transition that completely deserves to be ripped into on the wiki, but we definitely don't want to be saying, or implying, that the whole transgender 'thing' is inherently risible, more that he's going about it in such a back-asswards way and for pretty shoddy reasons (and we can prove it), and also that we would dislike him just as much regardless of gender

Plus if we approach the issue sensibly he can't just call us transphobes and use that as an excuse to ignore what we're saying

Mute wrote:Has anyone tried luring that trans anon from /L/ to the wiki or irc?

She's got an account here, actually, and has been on IRC
Archive Guy
Field Agent
Field Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  WaffleQueen on Wed 13 Apr 2011, 12:18

I'm one of the transanons but there seems to be at least one or two others.

I'm all about contributing to an article on the subject. I'm not gonna be able to write the entire thing alone but I can offer insight on why the communities observing him believe that he's just looking for attention. The first rule is that we can't state outright that he "isn't trans" because its purely speculative and everybody is different. Indeed, what we need to do is talk about why his crusade is so unhealthy. The wiki overall shouldn't be about hate, just reporting the many silly things that this silly person does that ends up offending silly people :p

WaffleQueen
Republican Homophobe
Republican Homophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  81082CO on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 07:17

I am one of the "T" croud also and I agree with the Queen that trans can be sort of speculative and indeed different. But there are certain quidelines to follow for safety and to not make a mockery of the trans community.
WaffleQueen wrote: The first rule is that we can't state outright that he "isn't trans" because its purely speculative and everybody is different. Indeed, what we need to do is talk about why his crusade is so unhealthy.
I could try to put something together on safety and common sense.
81082CO
Republican Homophobe
Republican Homophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Mute on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 14:14

Go for it, broskis. I think the rest of us will help out where and however we can, but ultimately we'll leave you to your own devices. Or at least I will, given that I know very little about the subject and much less how it compares to what ADF is going through. I don't know if maybe asking specific questions that we have about transgenderism/ADF would help the writing process, or not.

I think there was some talk recently about not adding new articles until the original ones are completed, but given that this is a pretty specific project with what seems like more than a couple of possible contributors, I think an exception should be made.

Mute
Open-minded Bisexual
Open-minded Bisexual

Back to top Go down

Post  WaffleQueen on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 16:07

I think transgenderism should start off on sexual identity and be divided into its own article if it gets bulky enough. I'd definitely like to hear any questions, sounds like it could help bring some focus to things that could possibly get overlooked and unintentionally left vague.

WaffleQueen
Republican Homophobe
Republican Homophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top